Sunday, September 21, 2014

Four weeks in, and this is starting to feel somewhat normal. I started writing this blog from the point of view of an outsider, but I don't feel so much like an outsider anymore. I must say I am truly impressed by the students around me.  The best term I've been able to think of for them is "civilized." They are polite, not only to me, but to one another.  They hold doors open, not only for me, but for one another.  Always.  Every time, every day.  They will wait a few seconds for an approaching student to reach the door, much longer than I would expect.  They are surprisingly quiet.  A throng of students will be crossing the pedestrian bridge between East and West campus (pics below), and one only hears a murmur of conversation.  They are rarely loud, rarely boisterous.  If there is a loud group everyone turns to look, as though they were hearing something unusual that needs to be checked on. They are happy, they are tolerant, they are busy, they are adults attending one of the best colleges in the country.

Early morning, walking toward the bridge.  The harbor is in the distance to the left.
The pedestrian bridge from West Campus to East Campus.
View from the pedestrian bridge.  Pacific and palm trees.
Leaving the bridge heading for East Campus.
Morton Bay Fig tree on East Campus in the early morning sun.
My geography classroom.  I was in this same room back in the 80's for geology.
 This is the only class I have on East Campus.
The pedestrian bridge looking toward West Campus.





No comments:

Post a Comment